Friday, November 18, 2011

European Adventures - Part 4: Spoons!

Obregado! Hope you're enjoying these little jaunts down memory lane! If not - just give me a few more days and they'll be over. Actually Monday (ok maybe Tuesday) will be an installment from this upcoming weekend's festivities. My very own little nugget, Ruby, is turning the big 3-0!!

 She's the baby of the group and we're heading to DC to welcome her to the "club" in style!! It's sure to bring along a few stories!! Anywho…back to Europe we go!


Day Five

We got up (late) - stupid time changes in the US really screwed up our clocks! We pretty much just ate breakfast - by the lemon trees obvi - and left. We were heading back towards Lisbon so we could fly out to Barcelona that night!! Sister number 3 was in our sights!!

Before we went to the airport, we made a quick trip to Sintra. Again - obsessed. This little coastal town was gorgeous. We had lots to do there! We started by going to the Castle of Moors. This was quite the trip. To get up there, you have to take a bus up this very long windy road…it's extremely high up. Sydney would up getting motion sickness - very badly - so that was def not a "high point". Oh I should also make a side note - every night at dinner we did "high point/low point" of the day - always got interesting. So back to motion sickness - it was really bad - but once we got off the bus - my sister helped her a bit and she was able to get back on track. We had to pretty much hike out to the Castle - it was all woodsy along a trail. Once we got there we were in awe. It was crazy that something this old would still be standing the way it was. We walked around - the view was incredible. My sister and I hiked up a bit higher in the castle to get an even better view and see the whole city/surrounding areas. It was great.  Here are a few pics:






After that we hiked back the other way up to the Pena Palace. Again - it was quite the hike - but we all made it - sweaty and tired - but we made it! Once again - took my breath away. Incredible. Here are some pics, the tile work alone is enough to make you scream!








When we finished up there we headed back to the town. After a trip back down the "mountain" with my sister sitting with Sydney "coaching" her through the bus ride (cold hands on the back of her neck) and getting stares…BUT she made it without any problems! We had lunch and shopped around a bit, then headed to the airport.

The line for security at the airport was insane in the membrane. We had plenty of time but people were getting hella crazy. It is at this time that I got into my first and only fight of the trip. I was standing in line, calmly, nothing out of the ordinary for line standing and this guy behind me was basically on top of me. At one point he was literally laying on my book bag (that was attached to my back)…basically he was my back pack. At a different point he was so close behind me with his carry on bag that basically I was holding the handle to his suitcase. Finally I had enough and asked him to please stand back. He gave me a look. Then I asked again. Then I lost my shiz. I was like ummm seriously dude you need to either back off or go in front of me…pretty sure I hate you. That was pretty much the end of him because he then saw a "hole" and ran up to the front of the line cutting everyone and his brother. Very stand up guy!

Sooo our flight to Barcelona was pretty uneventful - we didn't get in until late - like 11 pm. We pretty much just checked into the hotel and called it a night. We had sister #3 to see in the morning - I could hardly sleep - it was like Christmas!!!

Day Six

Started the day bright and early with a special delivery sister at the door and 3 amazing croissants! Just the way I like to start my days! We started out just wandering around the city, down Las Ramblas, saw the Boqueria, the Cathedral and a few other key sights. She had to head to class, so we basically just wandered on our own. We found the Port and just meandered through the city. I was in love. If you've never been to Barcelona and have the urge to visit an amazing city - I can't recommend it enough! It was incredible. Here are a few pics from the first day…







After a brief siesta, sister #3 picked us up and we headed to her "home stay". She has a house mom, who is basically amazing. I'm obsessed with her. She cooked us this amazing dinner and didn't speak a lick of English! My sister translated and I communicated the best I could based on my limited Spanish speaking abilities. But not to toot my own horn…but I was really able to hold my own…soooo TOOT TOOT!! Dinner was fabulous and very entertaining. We were telling her that Sydney says "bananas" when things are crazy or "platanos" in Spanish. She burst out laughing and said that in Spanish they yell "spoons" for things like that. So basically I'm going to start doing that. SPOONS! Awesome. Dinner lasted until about 11 pm - crazy late. We had about a 1/2 hour trip home, so we basically just passed out when we got to our hotel. We were all so excited for Day Seven…GAUDI DAY!!! More on this next week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment