Monday, December 12, 2011

Baby, It's COLD Outside!!

'Tis the season to be insanely busy and thus come down with a cold - gross!  

I thought this might be the perfect opportunity to go over a few of my cold remedies and see if anyone out there may have any suggestions if I'm missing something!! 
1.  Pre-Cold
-When I feel it coming on - I immediately start downing the Airborne.  
Not sure if it's technically too late at this point - but in my head I'm helping things.
-I use my Neti Pot like a lunatic.  
I Neti (yes I'm using it as a verb here) at least 2 times a day.  If you don't own a Neti Pot - I can't stress enough - GO OUT AND GET ONE!!  It's just a little "pot" that holds the salt water - you then pour it in one nostril and it comes out the other.  Sounds disgusting, is disgusting, but the best invention of life.  I usually do mine over the bath tub - things be getting messy!
-Again - might not be totally necessary (especially with the Neti), but I also use a saline nasal spray.
2.  COLD ALERT
-When all of my efforts have proven to fail - sometimes its inevitable - my only hope is to keep it going into a sinus infections.  This is when the meds come out.  I'm a huge Mucinex fan!  
Like obsessed.  I always get the one behind the counter - you know where you basically have to sign away your first born child to get some cold meds.  I think it works the best for me.  So I take that during the day.
-Night time - bring on the Nyquil!  
This puts me into a nice lil lull - it just lets me sleep while my nose is running off the chain and I'm  heavy breathing out my mouth - worst thing ever.
-Tissues - now I'm a very partial tissue person.  I have to use Puffs Plus with the lotion.  
They are so soft and delightful.  It makes the chapped nose that you get feel like you're just dabbing it with a cotton ball.  Sometimes I get the ones with Vicks - but I love the ones with lotion!
-Fluids - I down them like it's my job.  Green tea & water - best things for me.  I also throw in some OJ for good measure!  I love the Tazo Tea green tea - Zen flavor.  
It's just delightful and makes me feel happy and relaxed.  It's my fave!
-Soup - just that warm deliciousness going down is the best.  It just makes you feel good inside.  Like you're burning out all the bad germs!
-Sleep - I try to get as much sleep as possible!!!  No crazy shenanigans!
3.  Post Cold
-Plenty of Purell and try not to spread this thing around!
-I also make sure I take it easy - I don’t need that thing to rear its ugly head again!!

Hopefully you will not need these anytime soon!  But if you do - God's speed!!  Here's to "healthy" holiday!!  XOXO

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Lizzie.

    I saw your list of recommendations for cold and flu season and appreciated your run-down of the products that have worked best for you. I don’t have time to get sick, so it’s always helpful to get another perspective on how to ward off viruses and infections, especially at this time of year. I too am a big fan of Puffs with aloe and Mucinex D and a devoted Neti pot user! However, Neti pots were recently linked to two deaths in Louisiana and I thought your readers might appreciate more information on the dangers of Neti pots if they aren’t used properly. The Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals issued a warning several days ago about not using Neti pots with tap water because it can contain Naegleria fowleri, a brain-eating amoeba, that can be lethal.

    This video analyzes the dangers using news coverage from several sources. It discusses the warning issued by the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals and explores how tap water containing the deadly parasites can penetrate the thin bone between the sinuses and the brain, causing an infection that eventually leads to meningities. I think your readers might appreciate more information on the dangers of improper Neti pot use and hope you will consider embedding the video in your post.

    http://www.newsy.com/10236/

    Thanks again for sharing your recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Alexandra!! Another reader also sent that info my way - and it's so crazy!! I had no idea!! Thanks for passing along and I just did a post on it - so I appreciate the link to the video!! Thanks again and I hope you're enjoying the blog!!

    ReplyDelete