Monday, April 2, 2012

The Night Dana Carvey Wouldn't Leave Me Alone/I Heart Austin

Ok - "surrrry folks - parks closed - moose outside shoulda told ya!"  And if you don't get that reference I sorta feel sorry for you.  
Anywho - sorry for the delay - I had some brother's wedding things to tend to last week!  Their big day is coming up in 2 months!!  Wahhoooo!!  But I digress…now back to my story!
Thursday Night
Hazel had a work happy hour that she had to attend/run/organize/be everything for.  So I joined her - never one to turn down free food/drinks and it was another gorg night!  Basically after a little while, I was being more awkward then I've ever been.  No one really wanted to talk to me and one gentleman actually said "you look like a lost soul".   So that was my cue to exit and just sit myself at the bar and watch basketball until she wrapped up!  So I headed to the outdoor bar, got a seat and was answering emails, watching the game, entertaining myself.  Next to me was this guy - I swear to God was  Dana Carvey look-alike.  He even talked like him - that voice he does in the "isn't that special" skit.  

Oh and he was a office furniture salesman.  Dying.  Well he took a liking to me and would.not.stop talking!  He was about 50+ and I really had no interest.  He kept telling me how pretty I was, asking about dating in NYC, said he'd like to come visit.  Oh that's right folks - he was looking for an invite to come visit - what?!?!  My favorite line was when he looked at me through his spectacles and said "you have really pretty eyes. Everyone tells me that too.  We have like the same eyes.  Let me look closer (leans in) - yup they're the same."  What is going on?!  I wanted to crawl under the bar stool and cry.  This was the best TX had to offer me?!  I'm sorry - he was a nice man, just came on a little thick and I clearly wasn't into it.  I was very polite and kind though, I wasn't rude.  Eventually he left - sigh of relief all the way around!
Hazel finished up and had invited her brother and his wife to join us for a few drinks.  It was great to meet them - totally love!  We hung out for awhile - it was just so nice out we didn't want to leave!  We had a great time!!
Friday
Austin day!!!  Yippeeeee I get to see Hermione!  I got up and Hazel had to go to the office for a few hours.  So I went to breakfast at this place - Twin Sisters.  It was great - a nice leisurely morning!  Then I headed back to meet Hazel and got ready for our trip to Austin. 
We left and grabbed lunch on the way - prob the most amazing place I've ever been to.  We had BBQ at Rudy's that was the best I've had in my life.  

It's served on paper - that's right - just paper.  And we had some sides which were even more amazing.  The clientele was straight up Texas - I loved every second of it! 
We got up to Austin and headed right to Hermione's apartment.  After our initial yelling/squealing with excitement over seeing each other we all get ready for dinner.  First we had a drink at this great Mexican place then we headed to Lamberts - again - amazing.  I think I prob gained like 10 pounds on this trip! After that we went out to a few bars - so much fun!  Some of the best people watching I've ever seen!! 
Saturday morning Hermione had to head out of town - wahhh - but Hazel and I got to stay at her apt!  We went to breakfast at this place - soooo hometowny I loved it.  I had "migas" - yah that's right I know the lingo.  For those of you NOT in the know - it's like eggs & tortillas.  They were superb!  Only in TX do you get chips & salsa with your breakfast - it was fabulous.  Then Hazel took me on a tour of campus and downtown Austin!  I hit up the bookstore - saw a few key places.  After that we went for a walk around the lake - again - weather was amazing! 
The afternoon was spent a great bar - sitting outside - enjoying some beer!  We watched the basketball games, a few of her friends stopped by, nice and relaxing!  We also went to this area of Austin - Rainey Street.  Basically this guy just bought up some old houses and converted them into bars - it's the coolest little section.  We went to Clive - it was fabulous!  Here are some pics:



We didn't stay out too late - I had to get up at 4:30 AM for my flight, which was not the most fun - BUT no biggie! 
Sunday
Sunday came wayyyy to quickly.  I was so sad to leave Hazel!  I had such a good trip and it was fun to see a new city.  I'm pretty much obsessed with Austin and would love to go back soon!  It's such an amazing city!  It's never fun to come back from vacay - but it was good to be home in my apartment and back into a routine!

No comments:

Post a Comment