Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Rise Up

While my sister's wedding was absolutely gorgeous and she looked spectacular and it was a blast, unfortunately we go hit with a curve ball on Sunday night. It was a fabulous wedding and we had a great time, but I'd like to discuss something a little more serious today.


I hope everyone reading this is safe and dry! This has been an insane past few days for all us New Yorkers, New Jerseyians & Connecticutites (not sure if any of those are "PC"). I've been overwhelmed by what Mother Nature has the capacity to do. While I know a lot of people out there have dealt with destruction and devastation, this part of the country/world has been awfully lucky. We are not in an "area" that is generally hit by these types of storms. Snow storms, yes, we'll take it and we're prepared. But this, this was just insanity.

I'm not going to pretend I had the worst, I was incredibly lucky. My parents still don’t have power and won't for most likely 10 days. They are in the same boat as others. I was lucky and still have power. However, my night on Monday night was incredibly scary. I live alone in a studio on the 6th floor. Basically my whole back wall is a 20 foot window. I was so terrified that it was going to just blow in. And the wind between the apartments was creating a wind tunnel of sorts in the hallway and all night my door was just banging. It was so scary - especially being alone.

When I woke up on Tuesday, I had no idea what to expect. The area around me was ripped through. I was walking up the FDR, which was crazy, it's always bumper to bumper with traffic, but yesterday, there was not a single car. It was really eerie.

I think what really got me the most was the devastation to my beloved Jersey Shore. It's basically washed away. We have so much to rebuild and put back together. There are memories, homes, businesses, that have just been demolished. Boardwalks are gone and streets are flooded beyond recognition.

I'm not trying to be all Debbie Downer and sappy, but as I was walking into work today I was listening to Bruce Springsteen's song "My City of Ruins" and I just started to cry. If you've never heard it, it was about 9/11, however it was so fitting for what is going on. And for Springsteen, he's a shore guy, it just really got to me. When you hear the lyrics (I also put them below), you'll get it…

"My City of Ruins"

There is a blood red circle
On the cold dark ground
And the rain is falling down
The church door's thrown open
I can hear the organ's song
But the congregation's gone
My city of ruins
My city of ruins

Now the sweet bells of mercy
Drift through the evening trees
Young men on the corner
Like scattered leaves,
The boarded up windows,
The empty streets
While my brother's down on his knees

My city of ruins
My city of ruins

Come on, rise up! Come on, rise up!
Come on, rise up! Come on, rise up!
Come on, rise up! Come on, rise up!

Now's there's tears on the pillow
Darlin' where we slept
And you took my heart when you left
Without your sweet kiss
My soul is lost, my friend
Tell me how do I begin again?

My city's in ruins
My city's in ruins

Now with these hands,
With these hands,
With these hands,
I pray Lord
With these hands,
With these hands,
I pray for the strength, Lord
With these hands,
With these hands,
I pray for the faith, Lord
We pray for your love, Lord
We pray for the lost, Lord
We pray for this world, Lord
We pray for the strength, Lord
We pray for the strength, Lord

Come on
Come on
Come on, rise up
Come on, rise up
Come on, rise up
Come on, rise up
Come on, rise up
Come on, rise up
Come on, rise up
Come on, rise up
Come on, rise up

We have a long road ahead of us - but we will "Rise UP" once again! Stay safe! XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment