Wednesday, February 8, 2012

D "C...I still Miss Ya"

For some reason today I'm feeling nostalgic for my old stomping grounds - Washington, DC!!  Not sure why this sudden wave of "home sickness" - I mean the obvious ones are missing the great people/friends I left behind - but I do keep in touch with most of them.  Anyways - I thought it might be a fun opportunity to highlight a few of my favorite "spots" down there and next time you visit - you should definitely check them out!!

Ella's Wood Fired Pizza
OMG how I miss Ella's!  This was the "birthday lunch" spot for the 3+ years that I worked at my former place of employment.  Not only do they have the best pizza, but the sangria is amazing.  

I recall one occasion when Ruby and I were just going to "grab dinner" randomly after work and whoops - 2 pitchers later we found ourselves at another bar with Ruby throwing my business cards at random men hoping to find me a date.  Although that part didn't work - the food/drinks was right on par!  Even the "Mixed Greens" salad is delish.  Ruby, Juan & I did try to figure out the recipe for the dressing once, however we all felt strongly it had different ingredients - the only common one being olive oil - so needless to say none of us could recreate this one.  This is definitely a "must go" if you have some time down there.

Matchbox
One word - SLIDERS!  

By far Matchbox has the BEST sliders I've ever had.  They're just perfection. The are on these amazing brioche buns with a little pickle and served with these delectable onion straws.  In fact, Ruby & I ate those (and pizza & about 2 bottles of wine) before the Justin Timberlake concert - if I haven't discussed this before - I will - it's a good one.  The only problem was that we both tend to get indigestion at times and this was one, coupled with the fact that we had to drink beer out of straws - so gross.  We were burping up onion straws all night.  Haha - soooorrrry to the people around us!!  Whoops!

Luna
Now I used to live in Bethesda, right outside the city, and this store was my savior.  I was so obsessed. The girls working there are complete dolls and over time got to "know" me - kinda embarrassing/kinda loved it.  The clothes are a great mix of inexpensive/pricier.  The jewelry is fab - again you can find a ton of stuff for really not that much.  It's def a go to if you're in the area!

Founding Farmers
Hands down one of my favorite restaurants anywhere.  Not only is the food is so fresh and awesome, the décor is fab.  The drinks are the best!  You can just taste the organic/freshness in everything.  And the best part - it's not crazy expensive!  I've had a bunch of different things on the menu and I've never been disappointed.  They also have a sister restaurant in Georgetown on the water called "Fishers & Farmers" - go to either one - you wont be let down!

Georgetown Cupcakes
Speaking of Georgetown, I'd be remiss if I didn't include Georgetwon Cupcakes on this list.  Hands down - the best cupcakes.  Period.  

And I've tried a ton, including the ones in NYC.  I still go back to them every time!  The cake is so tasty and the icing is "just enough"!  I heart them and miss them immensely - but my waistline - not so much!

Georgetown Shopping
Despite what a pain in the butt it was to get in there, I do miss wandering around Georgetown on a beautiful spring/fall day.  It's such a great little area and the shopping is fabulous.  And now they even have a Vineyard Vine!!  Amazeballs!

Afterwords Cafe
Now this is more of a "quirky" place.  It's in the back of a "mom & pop" bookstore.  

Basically the food is fabulous and the price is just right.  It's a perfect spot to have a good meal, but not feel like you're breaking the bank.  I usually go for the salmon & the mashed potatoes - can. not. go wrong.  And the wine/drink list is great!

Lauriol Plaza
Now this was one of my main jams.  Seriously - this Mexican place is to die for.  The best part is - the margaritas are the best in the area!  

My guuurrlls and I would go here for Valentine's Day dinner (whether we were single or not) and just sit up on the rooftop (they put us up there to make room for all the other couples downstairs) and eat and drink.  We'd just have so much fun - I miss that tremendously!  The enchiladas and margs - that was my go to.  And the guac is fantastic!

The National Mall
This is something that I really miss daily.  During my work day - instead of lunch - I used to either go to the gym in our building or head out for a run.  I was so fortunate to work in such a gorgeous area of the city.  I would run down to the Capitol building and then up through the National Mall.  It was amazing to just get lost in the "DC-ness" of it and enjoy the people watching!  Of course I had my "hating tourists" moments, but overall, I really enjoyed those runs!

As much as I heart NYC, I still do miss certain things about DC.  They are both amazing cities.  BUT there is NOTHING quite like NYC and this is my home - it's great to be back!!

No comments:

Post a Comment