Thursday, August 11, 2011

Dance Moms

We're almost there - just one more day and another week down! Wahoo!! I'm excited for my impending weekend plans - I hope you are too! OMG - seriously - you don’t understand the TV programming my sister and I witnessed last night. Cray cray!


So a few weeks back we stumbled upon this little gem called "Dance Moms" on TLC. Let me tell you - it does not disappoint. It's utterly and totally ridiculous - but we can not stop watching!! Basically it's centered around this dance studio and the woman who owns it - Abby.

Let me break this down - Abby is insane. She is under this impression that she is the shiz and that her "dancers" are the best of the best and that all of them will go on to greatness. Newsflash - your studio is in Pittsburgh and no one knows about it. No one goes on to do anything because they get burnt out by the age of 8 years old. The "moms" are just as insane.  Here they are:




Abby makes all sorts of demands on their children - can I stress CHILDREN - and they go along with it - all the while fearing that Abby will kick them out and their girls will no longer be apart of such greatness.  They run around making costumes and props, gluing on crystals, anything Abby tells them to do. 

These children - they range in ages 6-13 years old - are so terrified of Abby that they have turned into little Stepford Dancers.

They do anything she says. She says we have to be here until 11 pm - they stay until 11 pm. She says don’t tell your mom if you're hurt - they don’t say a word. She tells them they're kicks aren't high enough - by God they stay there until they are bloody and tired but they leave with their kicks high enough.  Not to mention that all of them could really stand to eat a burger and fries!  These poor little pumpkins are going to have eating disorders by the time they are 10 years old - if they don't have them already!

Last night there was a "huge" Broadway agent coming into the studio to "scout" some of the girls. Everyone was all a twitter and nervous and yelling. It reminded me of "Waiting for Guffman" - if you haven't seen this movie - do yourself a favor and rent it - hilarious. Anyways - long story short only one of the girls got an "offer" and you can imagine the jealousy train that brought to town.

Seriously - this show is slightly disturbing at times. It makes me wonder how many parents are putting their kids through this hell just because they might "make it big". Most of these little girls don’t even want to dance - but they are forced to. It's all such insanity to me! I was a dancer growing up and in competitions, solo's, whole nine yards - I was kind of a big deal.

Just kidding (not really). My mom and dad took me all over the place. But I can honestly say - they NEVER forced me into doing anything - if anything I wanted more. Eventually I broke my foot and my tap dancing days were numbered. I just don’t really have much patience for parents that do these types of things to their kids - whether its sports, dance, cheer leading, whatever it may be. BUT it does make for good TV!!

Anyways - sorry for that PSA! Hope you all have fabulous weekends!

No comments:

Post a Comment