Tuesday, August 2, 2011

DCL - Hags Gone Wild - Part 1

Hello friends! So basically this weekend kicked my butt. I'm still recovering - on multiple levels! We had such a fabulous time - the weather was amazing - the company was stellar and the drinks they were aflowing! So much occurred that I'm going to have to do the recap in installments. So this one will be the first part of our long weekend!

I started my journey after work on Thursday. Penn Station was a mad house of course. I got to my seat on the train - so excited didn't have to share with anyone. I had my little snacks and was all set to settle into the 3+ hour trip. We get to the first stop and this older woman gets on - asks if she can sit with me. Really!? But they did say it was a crowded train - so I figured she was unassuming enough and probably a good choice to share this ride with. We were totally fine. I took out my laptop and was getting ready to watch a movie - only to find out - yup it didn't download all the way and Amtrak doesn't have service - now I'm a little annoyed. But it's fine - I still have my gossip magazines to keep me focused and I'm just so psyched to get there - nothing can bring me down. Except - this sweet older woman. As I'm putting my laptop away she whips out her "dinner" from a plastic bag. What is it you ask - on a confined train - where others are around - TUNA FISH SANDWICH!!!


Now I know most people love it - but I for one CAN NOT stand it. The smell just really gets to me. I'm generally a "foodie" and if its raw or a tuna steak - I'm game - but a tuna sandwich on wheat (homemade) - oh God please no!! I was just trying not to gag and focus on my People magazine.

Finally we made it - all in all - wasn't the WORST trip ever. I was so excited I basically ricocheted myself into Ruby's car. She had Sydney & Hilary and we were en-route to go get Coco from the airport. Kit was going to meet us at the lake in the next morning. So after a quick dinner break at the busiest McDonalds (the only thing open at that hour) any of us had ever been to - we grabbed Coco and off we went! Our car ride was fun - a lot of catching up and "story telling". It was so late we were all just trying to stay awake! Which brings me to the next part. We stopped at Sheetz to "refuel" - being that I (and the girls) have a weird obsession with Sheetz - it only made sense to stop there on our way. I had to go to the bathroom so bad - I ran in before there was a problem. Hilary & Sydney followed suit. After we were done, I was opening the door for all of us and then it happened. My big toe got caught under the door and things happened.

We do not need to discuss - because it still grosses me out/gives me the chills. I couldn't even scream/cry - my face lost all the blood in it and I almost fainted. Epic FAIL!! Thank God that Coco is studying to be a vet tech - so she would now be my "triage nurse" for the rest of the trip. They took me out to the car, cleaned it as best we could and wrapped it with a tissue & band aids, and iced it. Worst way to start our mini-vacay! But the rest of the trip was fun and we got out to Ruby's lake house around 2:30 am. Coco gave me a quick "dressing change" and off we went to bed.  (And FYI - this is what my foot looks like and I had to get a tetanus shot yesterday - awesome!)



The next morning - as per usual - Ruby and I were the first ones up. We got to chat a bit and catch up - which was great. Her mom was on her way with her 2 adorable pug puppies (she had been puppy sitting for Ruby for the past week). When she got there I got to finally meet my "nephews" - who are adorbs! Her mom is so sweet and just cracks me up. I don't know where this woman gets her energy from. Within the first 10 minutes that she was there she killed a wasp, put up the umbrella on the porch, emptied the car, gave the dogs water and watered her plants. Which was actually my favorite part. She was in a conversation with us and glanced out at her plants on the deck. Ruby was just getting a bowl of water to put down for the dogs and her mom screamed "Oh my God my basil - give me that bowl" - in reference to her wilting basil plant. She got so distraught she started running towards the door - didn't realize the screen was closed over and ran right into it. Water everywhere. Ruby & I basically peed our pants. It was amazing!

All the girls finally woke up and we pulled ourselves together to go get breakfast at our favorite spot - Arrowhead. They make the best breakfast sandwiches! We also got our "rations" for the day - food & plenty of beverages! When we got back we made Ruby take us for a quick spin on her boat - we were living the life! It was the most beautiful day and just cruising around the lake - it was perfect! Just what I needed!

We came back, had lunch, waited for Kit to arrive. It was just so nice to relax and catch up with the girls. Kit got there in the late afternoon in time for our second boat excursion of the day! It was fabulous! The girls went in the water (some not intentionally) - I couldn't get my toe wet - so I tried to hang onto the back of the boat and "dangle" myself in. I'm just so graceful. The end result was that I forgot I had my dress on over my bathing suit (not sure how - but I did) - so that was fun. I also almost killed myself trying to get back into the boat. That would be the last time for me!

As we were heading back a huge storm was brewing! We finally got the boat docked. We had to cover/close it up for the night which was more challenging! The wind was so out of control. But it all got done in the nick of time - because the storm was huge/bad! We got inside, had a few snacks and got ready for dinner. We were trying this new place on the lake, Dutch's. It was supposed to be good - brand new. So we made a reservation and off we went.

We knew we'd probably see some interesting situations when we got there, we just didn't know we'd be in store for SO many. Just as we were walking in this woman was walking out with her husband - I'm guessing a little tipsy - and she expounded "THIS FLOOR IS AMAZING!". Now let me explain to you - it was a tile floor. A black/gray/white tile floor. Something similar to what you'd find in a public bathroom. So that's how it began.

We had an 8 pm reservation and did not get seated until about 9:30 pm - so we had a lot of time to observe! The woman running the show was so completely frazzled and unorganized. Things were very out of control. I felt bad for her - but I feel like you shouldn't open a restaurant until you are good to go! She was just running around - but not fixing one thing! The electricity kept going out - like a fuse kept needed to be switched - the lights would go - then the fans would stop. Awesome. Then about 4 times a huge tray of glasses were dropped. Glass all over. Then these 2 couples, that were together , came over - they were just a mess. They had been sitting at the bar for quite some time and it was pretty obvious. The women - who were about 40-45 were wearing shorts that were so short - I didn't even know they existed. The one husband was just swaying and tyring to pass out mushrooms that he had on a plate - not sure where they even came from! He just kept yelling "eat some mushrooms" to which his wife/girlfriend/cougar replied "why are your eyes always to my bellybutton?!" - what?!?! Not even a clue as to what that could mean - she was just as trashed as he was. Then this other man came flying at the manager of the restaurant - again clearly tipsy (are you sensing the pattern here) and starts yelling & swaying.

Apparently they had a 7:30 pm reservation and got seated right away - it was 8:52 pm and they hadn't even got their salads yet! Total insanity! He proceeds to grab the manager and tell her to walk with him to his table where he demands that they WILL be doing something for them for all the ridiculousness. We didn’t see the manager again until the end of the night!

Finally we got seated. Everything looked ok except our table wasn't fully set and there were food trays on Kit's chair. But that aside, honestly our experience was not that bad - once we actually sat down. Our food was great and we were all pleased. One bottle of wine tasted like BBQ sauce -so we sent it back and there was no problem. We also played a little game at dinner and discussed 1 goal that we all had. It was fun and passed the time!

We finished up and were going to head home. We were so full - all we wanted to do was put on our PJs and relax. It was about 11 pm when we left and Ruby was trying to get the car door open. Her alarm goes off not once - but about 4 times. People were out on their balconies (the place we ate at is attached to a lodge) making fun of us. Not embarrassing at all. We couldn't stop laughing - such a scene!

We got home - I immediately through on my comf clothes. We all grabbed our wine glasses and settled in for the night! We talked a lot and looked at Kit's wedding pics. It was a fab low key night - we needed to save up for what was in store for the next day/night!

Which I will fill you in on tomorrow!!! Stay tuned - it gets good! Quick preview - Honi Honi, wiffle ball bat butt bruises, coked out men & Britney Spears. UHHHHMAZING!

No comments:

Post a Comment