Monday, January 23, 2012

Straight Up 'Illin

Ugh - Monday has reared it's ugly head yet again!  I'm so over it!!!  If we could just have 3-4 day weekends every week, I'd be most appreciative.  Thanks!
Friday night was a bit of a bust.  However I did get some new make up at Bobbi Brown before the "event", so that made up for it.  I got these products and I'm already obsessed!
Party Eye Pallete
Nude Peach Blush

I mean it was fine, but everyone there was a fetus.  Like they were still in college (all the guys anyways) and it was just odd.  There were only about 30 people that came, the oldest guy (graduate) was class of '07…so I mean not like he was THAT young, but there was also just one of those.  I mean 2 guys got carded at the open bar and turned down - it was THAT kinda crowd.  Also I had to pay $50 for it - which I'm totally fine with - and it was from 6-9 pm.  So I thought that was reasonable. However, they only had like 3 different kinds of passed apps - all of which were like the frozen ones you get at the grocery store and none of which were good.  And they ran out so quickly that they only came around maybe once.  So I had a few glasses of wine and 2 apps for $50 - and that, my friends, is not ok.  Anyway - I'm glad I went - push myself out of that box!
Saturday I woke up to SNOW!!  I love the snow.  Not like blizzard insane can't go anywhere, but just fun snow.  And now that I live in a place that I don’t have to shovel or drive anywhere, I enjoy it even more - especially on the weekends when I don’t even have to leave my apt if I don’t want to!  So I did a few things around the house before our big departure to Stamford.  I knew this was going to be an interesting trip the second we left our apartments.  We got to Grand Central and walked into a squash tournament going on - yes - in Grand Central - what?!  It was the most bizarre thing.  There was like a huge glass box and all these bleachers like outside the tracks.  

I swear - only in New York!  And then as we were making our way through to get our tickets, there were like 3 weddings having their pictures taken.  That I'd never seen before either - but I do heard GC, so I thought it was cute.  We found our train and the ride up was pretty uneventful.  We were able to catch up a bit and it was actually pretty quick!  And then we pulled into Stamford.  When we got out of the train, we were all looking around like idiots and couldn't figure anything out.  At one point, Giuliana said "how is that we're all world travelers and have negotiated foreign cities/countries, but Stamford, CT is throwing us all through a loop?!"  It was stupid.  We got a cab, finally, and went to the hotel.  We were all starving so we pretty much just got changed/ready for the night and went out.
We had dinner at Lola's - which was amazing.  If you're ever in Stamford - you should def check it out!  I had 3 different tacos - sooo good.  And the margs were on point!  After dinner we headed out for the night.  Our first stop was this place called Black Bear.  We got a table and settled in for a night of amazing people watching.  The first ones we spotted was this group of guys that were a little "thugged out" but awesome.  We coined them "the original Contraband" - due to our current obsession with that movie.  One of them had a gold chain with both a cross & a Satan medallion - obviously this was Giuliana's favorite group member. They had flat brimmed hats on - my favorite had a red Nationals one (homage to my old stomping grounds).  They were like old school Marky Mark - quite possibly his "funky bunch".  Then the DJ came in - again - amazing.  He took this gig so seriously - I should also note that it was like a tiny pub type atmosphere.  With him this group of (what we thought were college students) came roaring in.  They were so ready to tie one on.  Like ridic.  Apparently they won some free happy hour and it was all you could drink.  The group leader was none other than this kid, we called "Mellow Yellow".  He had flaming red hair, acted like a moron, was loud, and was wearing a light yellow mock turtleneck sweater (half zip). 
We were just sitting there minding our business, having a good time and listening to the DJ when things started to happen.  First this guy (in Mellow Yellow's entourage) approached Carrie and started chatting her up.  With that this other guy comes at me wearing - God knows what and this most awful NY Rangers scarf.  But he didn't even have it tied and it was so gross.  You all know how I feel about guys wearing jerseys, this is now a close second.  And he was obnoxious to boot!  However, he was persistent and WOULD NOT leave me alone!  I was not entertaining him in the least bit, but he kept coming back for more.  In the middle of Giuliana making fun of me, Mellow Yellow comes flying across the room and gets in between her and the guy talking to Carrie, puts his arms around both of them and proceeds to try to speak.  This resulted in him spitting all over Giuliana - it was such a scene. Then I kept telling her to zip his mock turtle up, to which she obliged and got it up little by little.  I was dying.  Then she kept calling him Mellow Yellow and this was their exchange:
Mellow Yellow:  Are you calling me that because I like to get high??
Giuliana:  No - I didn't even know that, nor do I care too.  I'm calling you that because you're wearing a pale yellow mock turtleneck sweater and it's ridiculous.
Mellow Yellow:  Oh.  Well do you guys wanna come back to my apartment and smoke some weed?
Giuliana:  I think we're gonna pass.

So we took a shot - Skier on Acid - Giuliana's choice and headed out to the next bar.  The next one was kinda slow - not much going on.  We stayed for a little bit and called it quits.  That's when the most amazing part of our night was about to begin.  We walked over to this place, Butterfield 8.  We should have known we were in for it when we were walking in as 2 people were getting kicked out. one guy was starting a fight and this girl's hair extensions were on the threshold of the door.  Like we had to step over them to get in.  All signs pointed to amazing.  We got in and headed back to the dance floor.  At first there was only Salsa music playing.  We tried to get into it, but just weren't feeling it.  So we decided that maybe we should just call it a night.  We put our coats on and began to head towards the door.  Then all at once, 3 thigns happened (in unison):
1.  I saw the red flat brimmed Nationals hat (worn by one of the members in the Original Contraband) on a table off to the side.
2.  They DJ started playing Rihanna.
3.  The leader of the Original Contraband emerged.
Giuliana looked at me and Carrie - none of us spoke - we just immediately took our coats back and started dancing.  Our night had come full circle.  The music was awesome and we danced like fools. 

Soooo much fun!  We stayed there till closing, briefly checked out one more bar and then headed back to the hotel.  We decided Dominos was a necessity and ordered it immediately.  Of course we waited over an hour, decided it wasn't coming and went to bed.  Next thing we know - phone is ringing and Dominos is at our door.  We all thought we had been sleeping for a good hour, but in actuality it had only been 10 minutes.  I kept yelling that I was already in REM.  So we each had a piece and went back to bed.  Carrie was so confused and kept saying "Is this really happening or am I in a dream?? Why am I eating Dominos in Stamford right now?!"
The next morning we had breakfast and headed back to the city.  Although we all came back WITHOUT rings on our fingers - it was a great little get away!  We had so much fun and the trip was totally worth it!  BTW I kept saying that the night was "straight up 'illin" and the girls were having none of it.  However - I believe it's making a comeback - so basically I'm cutting edge.
My weekend was completed with a Giants win (despite being a Jets fan - I'm pulling for the GMEN!!) It's gonna be a fab Superbowl!  I always love a good Boston/New York show down!!  AND I do love me some Eli - those Mannings are just my faves!  Let's go Giants!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment