Thursday, June 30, 2011

JUST SAY THANK YOU AND WALK AWAY!

By now you are all aware that I have a short list of blogs that I follow religiously. One of them, of course, is "Hay Girl Hay". I totally heart this blog and sometimes I feel like this girl is just speaking my mind! It's really bizaro! Anyways - the other day this was one of her post and in a few words I thought "why do you have my life?!" This is what the post said:

Just say thank you
When someone says something nice to me, it’s like I have a syndrome that causes me to negate what they just said by pointing out some flaw.
               Cute shirt? Oh thanks, I like it because it’s loose and doesn’t cling to my food baby.
               Your hair looks great? That’s weird, I didn’t wash it today.
               I love your jeans? They’re five years old with a hole in the crotch.
What is that? These things fly out of my mouth and I can’t help it, but I’d like to.
Learn to take a compliment, idiot.


Sooo basically this is me to a T! I catch myself doing it all the time and it's something that I consistently "struggle" with. Like I have to in my head say "STOP LIZZIE - JUST SAY THANK YOU AND WALK AWAY!" You can imagine my surprise when I realized that others have the same "disorder" that I do! These are actual/daily conversations that I have with people and this is the look I get all too often:


Person: Oh I love that skirt - so cute!
Me: Thanks - it was like a dollar on sale - so cheap - I mean I paid nothing….
Aftermath: Why did I have to explain the monetary value of this skirt?! Why did I feel a need to justify that I paid for clothing?! I sometimes feel like because I wear certain clothes people think that I'm some "rich bitch" - but hten I have to remind myself that: a) most likely that isn't their "angle" and b) I can barely pay my rent and c) most of my clothes ARE on sale from Banana or J Crew - I know - I'm wild and d) the other portion of my clothes are gifts - from my parents - there you have it!

Person: You look pretty today.
Me: Really I feel like train wreck! I got no sleep - I'm so heinous - please don’t look at me!
Aftermath: Again - simply say thank you! Just take it and go with it. Why do I have to convince people that I don't look pretty?! What is wrong with me?!

Person: Great job on that presentation!
Me: Ugh - I felt so unprepared like I put it together in AN second! I hope I didn't embarrass anyone by how awful I was! Thank God it was just for you guys!
Aftermath: Well basically just give me my pink slip now! Why can't the words "thank you" formulate in my vocabulary. It's like the verbal diarrhea of how to get yourself fired and make everyone re-think their original "great job" thoughts!

I mean those are just a few examples of my daily struggles. Ohhh the trials and tribulations of being me! Sometimes people walk away from me and prob think I'm a complete and total insecure lunatic. Which I'm not necessarily saying I'm not - I just think I portray more of it than I'd like to. It's def on my list of "things I need to work on"! I have to repeat it over and over again in my head - like a mantra - JUST SAY THANK YOU AND WALK AWAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment