Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Clowning Around = My Worst Nightmare

Lately everywhere I turn there is a commercial, poster, TV appearance for Water for Elephants.


Even Ruby emailed me when this came out and just said "how do you feel about this?!". Where as most of you are prob thinking - "yah, so?!", I'll explain. Every time I hear the word "circus" my blood pressure sky rockets about 100%, I start sweating, it's a mess. I hate circuses. I hate them. I know that may be "ridiculous" or "weird" - but I can't help it.


As far as the book goes - I got tricked into reading it. Everyone around me kept telling me to read it and how good it was - knowing full well my phobias for circuses. I didn't think anything of it and thought I'd join the masses in loving this book.


I was pretty into it already when I realized where it was going - there was no turning back. I had to just buckle down and plow through it. I made it - and I will admit - it was a very good book. Very long - and I didn't get totally into it until the last 3/4's of it - but it was very good. So I do recommend if you haven't done so - go out and read it.

And as for circuses - I hate the whole thing. It doesn't help that there was a VERY bad incident in my home town when I was a child with a "traveling circus". Lets just say there was a fatality involving a "circus cat" and a child. I was not there - however my parents and siblings were - and I know their dislike for circuses has definitely influenced my feelings, too. I hate the costumes, the animals (because I feel bad for them), I hate the people, and more than anything in the whole circus situation I HATE THE CLOWNS.

I hate clowns more than anything. They freak me out. I don’t find them one inch funny or humorous.


I find them terrifying and sadistic. I have never been a fan - but honestly as I've gotten older - my hatred has grown even more. I never had an awful experience or anything like that - but I just hate them. And it's all of them - the ones that have the colored hair and the ones that are more "modestly" dressed.

I think the closest to a bad moment with a clown actually happened in Disney World. We were in Epcot - in Japan and there was a "street performer" that was dressed up in "clown-esque" attire. He pulled me out of the crowd and made this blown putty fish shaped thing. Basically that was his "talent". Taking a ball of putty - blowing it up and making it into different shapes. So anyways, he picked me to give it to and then kept gesturing for me to put it in the water (that little pond they have in Epcot and that all the countries are around). So I was like 5 and I ran over and then he kept telling me to go further - basically like jump over the rail into the water - the whole crowd was laughing. Thank God my parents ran over and grabbed me and told me to stop where I was - don’t' go further. I mean I was just doing what I was told! They quickly swooped me up and off we all went. They were not pleased! I didn't really enjoy clowns, etc before then - but this sealed the deal!



I'm also upset because Reese Witherspoon is like my favorite - I have such a girl crush - totally love her - and she's staring in it!


Don't care so much about Robert Pattinson - I just never really got into him. Anyways - I'm torn about seeing the movie - there's just something so different about it being in your head vs. on the big screen! I may have to sit this one out.

So bottom line - I hate circuses - and most importantly clowns. I'm a 30 year old that is petrified of a man dressed in a stupid costume with their face painted. There I said it - and yes it sounds ridiculous - but no I don't care. I stand by my convictions. Deal with it. And if you ever want to scare the Be-Jesus out of me - just pop out of a box dressed as a clown.

No comments:

Post a Comment