Thursday, April 14, 2011

Just A Pinch!

Since I moved to the city , I'm all about trying new things and exploring new ideas. I'm in a "finding myself" place in my life. The good thing for me is that New York is full of 30 somethings trying to "find themselves". One of my more adventurous "things" has been acupuncture. It's in a word - AMAZING. I now feel the need to share my love of acupuncture with you all.

Since I was about 10 years old, I have suffered from migraines. I have been on every drug, tried everything, done food diaries, etc. The only connection that they can deduce is the weather and stress. Awesome - 2 things I have ZERO control over. I mean stress - as much as I try to not let it get to me - it creeps up. I'm a very stressed out person and I do my best to keep it at bay! Obviously the weather I have no way of changing and the worst part is when I see the forecast. When I see that throughout the week on Monday it's gonna be 80 and by Tuesday it will drop to 40 and be raining - I stress.  This is pretty much what I do at 8 am after I see it:



Simply because I know this migraine is looming - it's like a Catch 22. I've tried so many different remedies and things over the years that acupuncture seems like a last resort.

The other thing I've been treating is this lil old back problem. You may remember from my "Dr. Hottie" story that I have a bit of an issue. Since I decided that running ridiculous distances (i.e. 26.2 miles, 13.1 miles, 10 miles) at a time was a good idea, my back has been revolting against the rest of my body. It's still causes me a lot of pain and the fun part is that the pain permeates to my hips - awesome. Again - acupuncture seems like a last resort.

When someone originally told me to try it, my initial reaction was similar to this:



I've now been going for about 6 months and let me tell you - I think it might be helping. I mean whether or not it actually is - I don't know - but I feel like it is - so it's all in the head. Mind over body. The first time I didn't quite know what to expect. Didn't know if it was going to hurt or really just simply freak me out. but honestly - it didn't hurt at all (for the most part). There are a few spots that get me - and they do EVERY TIME - but as a whole - it's really not bad. She puts them all over my feet and my legs, arms, hands, ear, head, the whole 9. I look like a pin cushion! She just started treating my back about 3 weeks ago and I actually look forward to my appointments. I get to lay on my stomach on a massage-like table. She does her thing, turns out the lights, normally I fall asleep. Next thing I know she tip toes in and whispers, ok you're done. Takes out the needles and off I go. It's so peaceful. It's 30 minutes of my day that I do absolutely nothing but just lay there. Sometimes I fall asleep, sometimes I think about my dinner for that night, sometimes my mind races and it's not as "stress free". But regardless of what happens - I keep going back for more!


Over time she also given me different lotions/solutions for various ailments. For example when I sprained my ankle a few weeks back, she gave me this brown glass bottle with the label "tendon lotion" - that's it. So I slapped that stuff on my foot a few times a day - and low and behold - it's actually helping! Unreal!

Basically I think it's something everyone should try at some point in their lives. It's so great. And the amount of things they can treat - is just insane to me. They also look at your tongue (totally weird) and take your pulse to figure out different things. The whole thing is so interesting. I usually ask her a million questions and I'm fortunate that she's patient with me! I LOVE my acupuncturist! It's also something you should ask for a recommendation for - don’t' just pick one out of a phone book. And some insurance companies cover it - mine does - so that's an added bonus!

So everyone go on out and find your nearest and dearest acupuncturist! If you're in NYC - I'd be happy to give you mine!! Enjoy and let me know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment