Tuesday, May 10, 2011

"Concrete Jungle Where Dreams Are Made Of"

I was walking to work this morning - which is where I do a lot of thinking (it is a mile) - and I realized that I think I've fallen in love. I've fallen in love with NYC - that is. It's one of my favorite Sex & The City episodes: "Anchors Away", where Carrie so eloquently says to her "sailor":


Louis: I have to say, this is my first trip to New York...not for me. The garbage, the noise, I don't know how you put up with it.
Carrie: Thanks. I had a great time.
Louis: Wait, you're going home alone? It's rough out there.
Carrie: Nah. It isn't so bad.
Carrie (voiceover): If Louis was right, and you only get one great love, then New York may just be mine...and I can't have nobody talkin' shit about my boyfriend.

So in honor of this new found love that I'm feeling, I though it would be fun to enlighten you on the Top 10 Reasons Why I love NYC. I mean there are def more than 10, but this will give you a taste!!

1. The Fashion. The fashion here is like nothing I've ever seen before. And the best part is - something that you think looks so ridiculous, someone else will think is amazing. I could wear a potato sack here and somewhere along my night - someone will tell me it looks fabulous. I think I've really come into my own here - I've taken a few risks and enhanced my inner "Project Runway". I was literally sitting outside a restaurant waiting for my table to be called and this woman walked by with these red tight, spandex-y pants with this horrific white design all over it. I thought to myself "man, she looks like an idiot" and just as I was having my inner dialogue the girls next to me yelled "omg - we LOVE your pants! They are to die for!" And there you have it. It's a contstant fashion show!



2. The City That Never Sleeps. It honestly is - I thought it was a "myth" - but nope! You can always find someone up at any given hour. This has gotten me into trouble though - I have been caught a few times now sauntering home at 5 AM! What business does an old hag like myself have being out at 5 AM?! You just get caught up in the night and having fun!!

3. Delivery. It is insane - you can get ANYTHING delivered here. Not only your regular pizza, sandwiches, etc. I'm talking oh ice cream - sure. Groceries - no problem. Medicine - check. Snacks (like chips, cookies, etc.) - absolutely. Whatever you bought at The Container Store - done and done. It's utterly ridiculous! And now I'm so accustomed to it - I can't think of anything better!

4. People Watching. It is HANDS DOWN the best place to people watch. Sometimes on my lunch hour I just sit outside and watch. It's the best show EVER. You see all types - just soooo much good people watching!

5. The People. Some people from the "outside" may complain that New Yorkers are the worst. I disagree. These are some of the finest, nicest, kindest people I have ever met. I'm not gonna lie - there are complete jerks - but as a whole - they are great. They are willing to talk to anyone about anything. It just cracks me up the amount of random conversations that I have over the course of a day. They are also kind. A few weeks ago I was crossing the street - Park Avenue and there was a man coming towards me. Well he tripped and feel flat on his face - like no bracing the fall with his hands. It was so hard - I honestly didn't know if he was going to get up. It was really scary. Within 0.2 seconds there were about 10 people around him, helping him up, getting his laptop, putting his phone back together (because it broke). And then they helped him across the street. It was really great to see that many people helping a complete stranger.

6. The Food. NYC has some of the BEST restaurants I've ever eaten at. I'm not just talking about the fancy-schmancy ones. I'm also talking about the "Street Meat", food trucks, and little dive places that only if you live here you know about.


The Big Gay Ice Cream Truck - I havn't tried it yet - but hear it's AMAZING!  It's on my list!

Halal Guys - It's right outside my office - seriously - sooo good!!
The food is just delish and I love trying new places. The best part/most overwhelming part - is that I could literally try a new place everyday (for breakfast, lunch & dinner) and not get to every place in this city. It's crazy!

7. The Culture. There is always something going on in the city. You rarely find yourself bored with nothing to do. Any given day there is a different festival, exhibit, show, etc. to entertain yourself. Never a dull moment!!

8. Walking. I walk EVERYWHERE here! Literally - I don't think I've ever walked so much. Just to and from work everyday is a good 2 miles. I love not having a car (although at times I miss it), but it's great just being able to wander around and take it all in.


Obviously on those cold rainy days - I love for door to door service, but most of the days I'm just so happy to do it. In the morning it's a great way to get me ready for my day and at night, it lets me "come down" from my work day and leave work "at work". And on the weekends - I love nothing more than just going out and running errands - just walking all over the place!


9. Location, Location, Location. Everything here is just a cab ride away! It's great. The actual island is only 13.4 miles long and at its widest is 2.3 miles wide. It funny - because for this many people - it really isn't all that big!! Not only can you just jump in a cab, hop on a subway/bus, or simply walk - you are also in a great area for travel. The train and 3 major airports are all right here! It's fabulous!

10. Celebrity Sightings. The great part is how "casual" and how "uninterested" people are when they see celebrities here. Some people will yell, say hello - but for the most part everyone just does there thing. I think celebrities enjoy that about being in NYC. There are always movie/tv shoots going on. I pass them on a daily basis - its fun to try to see what's going on! I've had a few spottings (Russell Simmons, Ivanka Trump, Donald Trump - to name a few) - but I'm hoping for more! I always have my eyes open!!
30 Rock is always out and about filming - it's my mission to see them!

NYC's fav Upper East-Siders.  I'm determined to see the filming of Gossip Girl!

These 10 are just the tip of the iceberg for me. My hope is that the longer I stay here, my list will grow even more. But for now - I'm just loving where I am and my surroundings. I'm quite the happy New Yorker! And to sum it up, again in the words of Carrie Bradshaw:

Miranda: Why do I think living in Manhattan is so fantastic?
Carrie: Because it is.

2 comments:

  1. I would love it so much to live in NYC, it's my favourite city of all time. My biggest dream is to move there but I'm so far far away.
    Where did you move from ? And also, tell me is it hard as a newcomer to the city? I mean... is it that hard to "make it" there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chrisa! I love questions and comments from readers - so thank you!! This has always been "home" for me, so moving up from DC wasn't too bad. I'm from NJ originally, so I'm familiar with the area. BUT I've never lived in NYC, so that was a big adjustment! I think this place is amazing! There are so many "newcomers" and people from all walks of life. I think if you're willing to put in the effort to meet people and become part of this fabulous place, you'll be totally fine! There are so many things to get involved in, ways to meet people and just really become a true New Yorker. If it's always been your dream - I say go for it! I mean worse thing that happens is you go back home!!

      Delete