Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Tiger Hair Is A Great Look For You!

So speaking of hair highlights…don't ever ask me to do yours. I'm not quite sure why I thought of this story - but replaying it in my head made me laugh and it all came flooding back to me. It involves me, my bestie from home, Corey, and a wand of hair dye.

Corey and I grew up together. She is one of my closest, oldest friends. Over the years we've gotten ourselves into a few situations - renting me what should have been condemned house in Radford, VA; nearly getting killed by a mattress that flew off a car in front of us; celebrating my 21st birthday; the list goes on. Now Corey is married with two adorable kids. Even though those crazy days may numbered, we still have the memories and we're still good friends!

So Corey wanted to "touch up" her highlights. She has dirty blond hair and wanted to touch up the blond "streaks". Since we were fresh out of college, our budgets weren't the most abundant! Actually at the time she was tutoring (she's a teacher) and I was nanny-ing - so you can see where I'm going with this. She asked me to come over and help her do this hair treatment. Now please know that I can barely brush my own hair - let along "do" someone else's. I was fully open and honest about my lack of talent in the beauty salon arena. She said it was super easy and wouldn't be an issue at all. I've also never done ANYTHING to my hair - so I have NO CLUE how highlights, low lights, etc. work.

I got to her apartment and she showed me the "kit". It had this little wand in it that you put the hair dye/cream.
She told me to just start at her top part and work my way down to the ends of her hair. The "wand" was designed to give the appearance of perfect highlights - no mess - easy peasey! So we began. She sat on the toilet and we chatted away. I was totally impressed at my hair skills - thinking maybe I'd just do that for a living. She helped me and told me how amazing this was going to look. We were so pleased with ourselves! So then she had to leave it on for 20 minutes and then we'd rinse it out and see our masterpiece.

We went into her living room, sat on the couch and began to go through old photo albums. We were having such a good time and reminiscing. It was a great afternoon. UNTIL we realized that stuff had been in her hair for about an hour. WHOOPS!! We both jumped up, screamed and ran to the bathroom. I through her head in the bathtub and began rinsing. She then flipped her head up and this was my reaction:


I kid you not - she had tiger hair. Like it was bright orange/yellow and blond stripped. Some areas had large "chunks" of orange, some had a tiny streak, some had a circle of orange.



And it wasn't even consistent - it was almost like lines on a road - like the "passing" lines. Totally ridiculous.

So in true Corey & I fashion - we didn't cry - yet - we burst out laughing. She then started to panic a bit because she had to tutor in 2 hours. I quickly called my mom yelling into the phone "WHAT DO WE DO!?!?!" She advised me to call our local hair salon and hope they'd fix it. So I did that - they told me to come in right away and they'd try to squeeze her in. So off we went.

Now this place is pretty snobby - they are the only "game" in town and they think they are just the best of the best. Which I did go there and I did like them, but it's slightly ridiculous. Anyways - you can imagine the looks when Corey and I flew in there.



The first thing they said was "who did this to you?!" I sheepishly raised my hand. Then I got in trouble. But they told her they'd try to help her and get in back to normal. I stayed there with her - I felt like she was in surgery. They are very serious about hair. I paced, I bit my nails, I sighed. Finally she emerged. It looked amazing. You would NEVER be able to tell. I couldn't even believe it. And the best part was - they felt so bad for her - they did it for FREE! So all was good!

Lesson learned - NEVER use those at home products. Or if you do - make sure you know what you're doing. I for one DID NOT. I'm just glad Corey took it in stride and we're still friends! Sooo if anyone is looking for a stylist for Tiger Hair - you know who to call!

No comments:

Post a Comment