Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Treadmill Performances Are Not OK

I know I've mentioned this before, but yesterday it was brought to a whole new level, my gym is CRAY CRAY!! I'm sure that most of you go to crazy gyms too - and I'd love to hear your stories. I guess most gyms do have an element of insanity to them. It just takes all kinds. But yesterday - ridiculous.

I've just recently been able to start running again. I probably shouldn't be, but I figure I'll just listen to my body. If it decides to completely break on me - then I'll know it's time to stop. But for now - I'm keeping my mileage low and I'm not sprinting anytime soon! Since I'm just getting back into it, I'm still a little uneasy on the treadmill. I mean I'm not flying off or anything, but I'm just more cautious than I have ever been. One little move the wrong way and I panic, wrap my hands/arms around the bars and know that I can always use my head to hit the large red "STOP" button that sits in the middle of the console. I'm just trying to prevent an epic failure.


I was just getting into my rhythm and watching a Friends re-run - which is the best way to pass the time while running - and it happened. The guy that was 2 treadmills down was like sprinting and trying to be all cool. And all of a sudden he starts signing - and I'm not talking quietly. I'm talking screaming at the top of his lungs - yelling - singing. Well this was enough to scare the B-Jesus out of me. I nearly lost my footing - my heart was pounding. I mean I'm just running along LOL'ing at Joey and all of a sudden he feels the need to belt out a song?!

It was basically just 3 lines or so, and then it was silent again. OK back to my running, heart and blood pressure have stabilized.

And then it happened AGAIN! Like 10 minutes later! Screaming/yelling/ belting - some talk about a river and a mounting - and it didn't stop there. He then decided to use his console as a drum set! So he's banging on the console and yelling all the while probably running at about 7 miles/hour. The guy next to me - looks at me - I'm in shock - looks at him - he has his eyes closed and is in a full on jam session. It was just insane! And he's all - whatever - I don’t care what anyone thinks - I'm an amazing singer/performer and everyone wants to listen to me.



I'm all for hyping yourself up and getting through that workout. But I've also run marathons, 10 milers, etc. and I have never had to encounter this type of behavior. In the actual race or the training. I mean this guy was just running like 3 miles and calling it a workout. There was just no need for it. I can't stand when people think that they are the only ones in the room. Like when you're on a subway and someone just starts signing. I'm sorry ma'am - but you're not Adele and sir - you are no Jay-Z. Lets just keep that type of behavior to the confines of your homes. Or when its an appropriate arena. Thank you and have a lovely day!

No comments:

Post a Comment